Re: alternate kernel binaries?

Subject: Re: alternate kernel binaries?
From: Andrew Leahy (aleahy@knox.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 23 2001 - 15:39:03 MST

Iain Stevenson wrote:

> What do you mean by a system lockup? Does the kernel halt or just the tape
> driver (scsi?) I had terrible trouble with a travan scsi tape drive until
> I started using afbackup.
>
> Several people have suggested here: http://www.ppckernel.org/ for ppc
> kernels.

I use the system to back up our NFS server's /home partition using a DAT
tape drive attached to the external SCSI port. I just use "tar cf". The
system doesn't completely lock up, but almost: I can't telnet in, but I can
use CTRL-ALT FX to switch to another virtual terminal. However, when I type
a login name and hit <RETURN>, that's all she wrote on that VT. The funny
thing is that I can get a way into the filesystem before this happens.

Thanks for the kernel information.

Andrew Leahy