Re: Book Recommendation

Subject: Re: Book Recommendation
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Sun Dec 23 2001 - 20:15:43 MST

On Friday 21 December 2001 02:02, you wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Being rather new to Linux, I'd like to start adding to the bookshelf with
> some relevant books. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good beginners
> book? I have the "Getting Started with YDL" book on order, but was hoping
> to pick up something this weekend.

Two O'Reilly books: "Linux In a Nutshshell" and "Running Linux. "Running
Linux" is meant to be read. "Linux in a Nutshell" is meant for looking
things up. You may also find useful "Advanced Bash Scripting Guide" by
Mendel Cooper

"Linux In a Nutshshell is a reference guide to all of the linux and shell
commands. In addition to all the commands, it has a sections on
- rpm and other package managers
- booting(x86 flavor)
- pattern matching, which is used in a variety of the tools
- Emacs, vi and sed editors and the gawk tool.
- CVS and RCS
- Gnome, KDE and fwvm are covered as well.

Running Linux gives a good introduction to Linux and an overview of the
various tools you'll use like editors, X windows etc.