slightly Off-Topic: MacOS upgrade 8.5 to ???

Subject: slightly Off-Topic: MacOS upgrade 8.5 to ???
From: Bob Patton (max_patton@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Dec 26 2001 - 08:09:06 MST

I currently have YDL 2.0 and Mac OS 8.5 on a beige G3
with 352 MB but only a 6GB hard drive. One of my kids
new games needs at least Mac OS 8.6. I would like to
get this game working with the least effort possible -
I really don't want to have to do a clean install with
all the backups and restores and I especially do not
want to mess up the YDL side.

Should I just upgrade to 8.6 or should I go for
9.something?

Is the best way to do such an upgrade to get CDs from
Apple or can I download the 34MB file which I found
for the 8.6 upgrade and do it locally?

Given my smallish hard drive and slowish processor
(266MHz I believe) I am under the impression that
upgrading to Mac OS X would not be advisable. Is this
correct? Would it mess up the Linux install if I did?
Would any of my Mac software stop working on OS X?

Any assistance/opinions are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob Patton