post/during installation problem

Subject: post/during installation problem
From: David Wright (dwright5@nyc.rr.com)
Date: Wed Dec 26 2001 - 10:30:56 MST

Greetings,

I hope everyone had a good holiday or is still in the process of having one.
I have a problem/question with YDL 2.1. I finally got YDL installed, it took
about 5 consecutive tries, i would get to the package installation
(development workstation) and would get a consistant "package installation
error please correct manually". I was in the graphical installation mode so
that was not an option (not to mention i would not know who do correct
manually, although i did see some info here a few months ago about that) I
would just go back to the partition disk installation point and redo the
partition step (trying different partition schemes) and continue from there.
Anyway after about 4 times of this, it did install.
I ended up with: 10MB boot /dev/hda11
                 256MB swap /dev/hda12
                 1200MB / (ext2) /dev/had13
                 1200MB(/usr)(ext2) /dev/hda14

*i have macos9 on /had9 and macos x.1 on /hda10 not that that matters at
all.

Ok, the problem is now when i boot into linux i get to the screen where it
checks all the diagnostics and partitions, etc, and i get an error that
/pci@f2000000/@d/mac-10@7/ata-te/f1000/disk@013, /boot/vmlinux is an unknown
or corrupt filesystem. (which from reading the rest of the info on the
screen appears to be /dev/hda14 - everything else checks out [ok]. Then it
states that if i know that this is valid or know file system i should run
these commands: e2fsck -b 8193 with the necessary ([device]) info, which i
did and it still states: unknown or corrupt filesystem.

To me it appears that the YDL did not make the correct partition, is that
correct?
Is there a way to fix this without reinstalling Linux, i really don't want
to go through the multipul reinstalling step to get the packages installed.

It seems odd that this is a problem since YDL states that three are
mandatory. (boot, swap and root) i actually tried with 3 additional ext2
partitions but that never took.

Thank you, i would appreciate any help or feedback anyone could provide.

-david