can i re-create a ext2 filesystem while linux is installed

Subject: can i re-create a ext2 filesystem while linux is installed
From: david wright (dwright5@nyc.rr.com)
Date: Thu Dec 27 2001 - 09:55:31 MST

  when i boot into linux i get to the screen where it
checks all the diagnostics and partitions, etc, It states that
/dev/hda14, which should be my fourth linux partition "/usr" has
failed. The error states
/pci@f2000000/@d/mac-10@7/ata-te/f1000/disk@013, /boot/vmlinux is an
unknown
or corrupt filesystem. All the other diagnostics check out ok. the boot,
swap and /,
It gives me the standard option of logging in as administrator to fix it
or re-booting, it i re-boot: same scenerio. It
states that if i know that this is valid or know file system i should run
these commands: e2fsck -b 8193 with the necessary ([device]) info,
which i
did and it still states: unknown or corrupt filesystem.
This should be a valid ext2 filesystem, i created it with the YDL
partition maker that all the other LInux partitions where created with.

Is there a way to fix this without reinstalling Linux? I read and
downloaded e2fsprogs - 1.25 from sourceforge but if i can't actually log
into linux this isn't very useful.
-david