Re: can i re-create a ext2 filesystem while linux is installed

Subject: Re: can i re-create a ext2 filesystem while linux is installed
From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Dec 27 2001 - 10:33:50 MST

At 11:55 -0500 12/27/2001, david wright wrote:
> when i boot into linux i get to the screen where it
>checks all the diagnostics and partitions, etc, It states that
>/dev/hda14, which should be my fourth linux partition "/usr" has
>failed. The error states
>/pci@f2000000/@d/mac-10@7/ata-te/f1000/disk@013, /boot/vmlinux is an unknown
>or corrupt filesystem. All the other diagnostics check out ok. the
>boot, swap and /,
>It gives me the standard option of logging in as administrator to
>fix it or re-booting, it i re-boot: same scenerio. It
>states that if i know that this is valid or know file system i should run
>these commands: e2fsck -b 8193 with the necessary ([device]) info, which i
>did and it still states: unknown or corrupt filesystem.
>This should be a valid ext2 filesystem, i created it with the YDL
>partition maker that all the other LInux partitions where created
>with.
>
>Is there a way to fix this without reinstalling Linux? I read and
>downloaded e2fsprogs - 1.25 from sourceforge but if i can't actually
>log into linux this isn't very useful.
>-david

David,
did you actually create a file system on this partition? Making a
partition does not automatically format it, you need to
mke2fs /dev/hda14
with the options you want (-i, -m, ...) before you can use it.

Best regards,
Chris

--
Chris Ruprecht
7601 Churchill Way # 915 * Dallas, Texas 75251 * Mobile: (214) 334-7410