Re: Java plugin for mozilla 0.9.7

Subject: Re: Java plugin for mozilla 0.9.7
From: Avinash Gupta (agupta@mediaone.net)
Date: Fri Dec 28 2001 - 09:45:02 MST

Hi Geert,

Unfortunately, I think I was too hasty in posting to the list that Java
support works in mozilla 0.9.7. It DID seem to work on ONE java applet
enabled page, but since then I have been unable to get it to work on any
other site. I do have the openmotif libraries installed and I had to do a:

        export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6

before running mozilla, but I get a SIGNAL 11 on any Java enabled page.

I e-mailed Kevin Hendricks, the maintainer of the PPC port of Blackdown's
Java Linux and here is the answer I got from him ...

> Hi,
>
> Unfortunately, Mozilla has changed their plugin API repeatedly.
>
> I simply gave up trying to change with them.
>
> I just grabbed Mozilla 0.9.7 and will rebuild jdk 1.3.0 against it and
> make a new release (but it will require glibc -2.2.X).
>
> If however, Mozilla changes their plugin API once more, than I will
> consider the change a bug from "Mozilla" and will not rebuild.
>
> I will let the list know when I have a rebuilt version.
>

> Kevin

So the good news is that Kevin is rebuilding jdk 1.3.0 against mozilla 0.9.7,
but he may stop doing so in the future if the mozilla team keeps changing
their API :-/

Keep your eyes on this list for a message from Kevin ... hopefully he will
have a new version that works out soon.

-- Avinash Gupta (agupta@mediaone.net)