Re: Unexplained freezes

Subject: Re: Unexplained freezes
From: Charlie Watts (cewatts@frontier.net)
Date: Sat Dec 29 2001 - 01:23:44 MST

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Mark Jaffe wrote:

> Has anyone else experienced what I have been - system locks up dead?
> The downside to this is a trip to my ISP where the system is currently
> undergoing burn-in. When I got there today I could not wake it up and
> had to force a restart. Examination of the system log showed it was in
> the middle of a cron.hourly task.

If you can't find a specific process that will reliably lock the box, you
should start trying to abuse subsystems and taking "snapshots" to see what
is running.

I'd set up a cron job to dump the output of "ps uafxwww" into a dated file
(and then sync the filesystem) every minute, for instance. Try to see if
there are any particular processes that show up when it dies ...

> I also cannot perform yup correctly. Has anyone been able to get this to
> work? Is there a directory one has to be in when it is invoked?

What's it do?

> System is a PowerMac 8500, cpu is NewerTech dual-604e @ 225MHz, 208MB RAM,
> kernel is 2.4.15 compiled on the system to support RTL8139 NIC.

Aaaaaah .... um, I hate to say it, because that's a nice dually rig, but
my immediate first troubleshooting call would be to yank the NewerTech
card and see if I still had problems.

--
Charlie Watts
cewatts@frontier.net