Re: Mail server question

Subject: Re: Mail server question
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@iainstevenson.com)
Date: Sun Dec 30 2001 - 04:49:25 MST

Let me share my prejudices and experiences .....

I didn't like Stalker's licence policy much for the Mac - who wants their
mail going out with commercials on it until they pay? If you later hit
problems, they have the money, you feel bad ....

A while back I moved my mail system from sendmail and the UW pop/imap that
ships with YDL to postfix and Cyrus imap/pop. This followed some positive
comments on this list about postfix and considerable trouble with imap and
the Mac version of Outlook Express (it's imap is flaky and it doesn't
handle large mail folders at all well)..

Basic pop serving used to be included with YDL and it may just be necessary
to uncomment a few lines in /etc/xinetd.conf to enable it.

You will save yourself a lot of bother by using postfix instead of sendmail
because it is much easier to configure. Doubtless sendmail allows one to
do very clever things but for average users the ease of configuration
matters more. Cyrus imap works much better than UW imap (and is more
secure) but is very difficult to set up - definitely not something to
attempt as an afternoon exercise. However, if you set up all of the Cyrus
suite of programs (eg imap, imsp, sieve) it works very nicely with
Cyrusoft's Mulberry client. It also works well (ie as well as anything
else) with other email clients although the functionality available is
reduced.

  Iain

--On Sunday, December 30, 2001 12:42:11 +1100 Terry Allen