Re: Mail server question

Subject: Re: Mail server question
From: Terry Allen (hmag@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Sun Dec 30 2001 - 21:13:12 MST

>Let me share my prejudices and experiences .....
>
>I didn't like Stalker's licence policy much for the Mac - who wants their
>mail going out with commercials on it until they pay? If you later hit
>problems, they have the money, you feel bad ....
>
>A while back I moved my mail system from sendmail and the UW pop/imap that
>ships with YDL to postfix and Cyrus imap/pop. This followed some positive
>comments on this list about postfix and considerable trouble with imap and
>the Mac version of Outlook Express (it's imap is flaky and it doesn't
>handle large mail folders at all well)..
>
>Basic pop serving used to be included with YDL and it may just be necessary
>to uncomment a few lines in /etc/xinetd.conf to enable it.
>
>You will save yourself a lot of bother by using postfix instead of sendmail
>because it is much easier to configure. Doubtless sendmail allows one to
>do very clever things but for average users the ease of configuration
>matters more. Cyrus imap works much better than UW imap (and is more
>secure) but is very difficult to set up - definitely not something to
>attempt as an afternoon exercise. However, if you set up all of the Cyrus
>suite of programs (eg imap, imsp, sieve) it works very nicely with
>Cyrusoft's Mulberry client. It also works well (ie as well as anything
>else) with other email clients although the functionality available is
>reduced.
>
> Iain

Hi Iain,
        Thanks for your input here. I'll give Postfix a try. Sendmail (as
it's reputation indicates) is incredibly arcane. In so far as Stalker goes,
I can't fault them - I'm running a free Mac OS mail server at the moment,
called SIMS (Stalker Internet Mail Server) it has NEVER crashed, is
bulletproof & fast. It's not perfect but then what is? There are some
features I'd like, but it's an amazing piece of software.
        Transitioning from Mac OS to Linux for a server platform is no
simple feat, but I'm working on it.

        Bye for now, Terry Allen
hEARd

Postal Address:
        hEARd
        c/o 128 The Entrance Rd
        The Entrance
        NSW 2261
        Australia

Internet -
        WWW:
        http://heard.com.au or http://www.ozemail.com.au/~hmag
        http://hosting.heard.com.au

Interactive Message Board - http://heard.com.au/wwwboard/

EMAIL: (checked every Thursday & Sunday, sometimes more often)
hmag@ozemail.com.au

Non profit promotion for new music
Also, check out the Educate site - http://www.educate.net.au