Alternative to AppleWorks?

Subject: Alternative to AppleWorks?
From: Doug Philips (dgou@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 31 2001 - 10:45:31 MST

I've searched the list, but didn't find anything much from this year and
little from 2000, which is getting less and less relevant anyways. If I've
missed the messages on this, please let me know what to search for in the
archives.

I'm looking to move entirely away from MacOS... I'm currently YDL 2.1 on my
Tangerine iMac and love it. I have a TiBook which is currently running MacOS
9.2.2 and I'm wanting to run just YDL on it too. My only "dilemma" is that
my main use for MacOS, aside from iTunes, is to publish several newsletters
for local clubs to which I belong. AppleWorks 5 was excellent under MacOS
8.6, along with MindGate's PrintChef for doing the impositions. When I moved
to doing this all on the TiBook under MacOS 9, I found PrintChef didn't
work... Ok, so I handle the impositions by hand within AppleWorks.
Unfortunately AppleWorks 6 is a step backwards for what I'm doing. I have
databases for print labels, but I don't see that as a big deal... My concern
is for doing layout and printing on Linux, esp. on YDL where I had a Dickens
of a time getting printing to work (I think I might switch from lpr to cups,
but haven't had time to play with that yet).

Is anyone else on the list doing regular and somewhat non-trivial doc
production on YDL? If so, is Star Office the way to go, or ???? I'm not
afraid of doing my own experiments, I just figured that if I could, I would
rather leverage off of whatever anyone else has learned.

Thanks, and Happy New Year!
        -Doug