Re: Farallon 10/100 the answer?

Subject: Re: Farallon 10/100 the answer?
From: Bryn Hughes (linux@mail.demian.shacknet.nu)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2001 - 10:47:12 MST

Hi Jeff,

First thing to try would be typing this:

ifup eth1

You should either get an "OK" message or an error stating that you aren't
using the command correctly (usage: ifup <device name>).

If you get the "usage" error, then there aren't any scripts created for your
NIC most likely. Check this by going to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ and
looking to see what is there. You'll see a file called ifcfg-eth0. This is
your config script for eth0. Here's an example file:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=142.30.xxx.xxx
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY=142.30.xxx.xxx
HOSTNAME=ccmf1.vcc.bc.ca
DOMAIN=vcc.bc.ca

If you're using DHCP, you'll see something more like this:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=DHCP
ONBOOT=yes

What you want to do is create an ifcfg-eth1 script. Basically, it would
look like this for DHCP:

DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=DHCP
ONBOOT=yes

and I'm sure you get the picture.

Note that you CAN also do this with linuxconf instead of editing/creating
the files yourself, but I personally haven't had much luck with linuxconf on
PPC linux.

HTH,
Bryn