RE: Term Colors

Subject: RE: Term Colors
From: Nic Ferrier (nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2001 - 12:17:46 MST

>>> "Steve McGrane" <steve@globaltap.com> 01-Feb-01 6:50:20 PM >>>

>I figured that one out and I notice that the calls to
>the .sh scripts ARE in profile but for some reason it
>looks like profile is not getting called for a gnome-terminal,
> which is what I've been using. Where and when
>is profile called?

The semantics for when bash (the shell you should be using) runs what
shell script are quite complicated.

Here's the entry from the bash man page that explains what goes on.

 When bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or as
  a non-interactive shell with the --login option, it first
  reads and executes commands from the file /etc/profile, if
  that file exists. After reading that file, it looks for
  ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and ~/.profile, in that
  order, and reads and executes commands from the first one
  that exists and is readable. The --noprofile option may
  be used when the shell is started to inhibit this behav
  ior.

  When a login shell exits, bash reads and executes commands
   from the file ~/.bash_logout, if it exists.

   When an interactive shell that is not a login shell is
   started, bash reads and executes commands from ~/.bashrc,
   if that file exists. This may be inhibited by using the
  --norc option. The --rcfile file option will force bash
   to read and execute commands from file instead of
   ~/.bashrc.

Hope that helps.

Nic Ferrier