Re: Installing YDL on new G4

Subject: Re: Installing YDL on new G4
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 16:16:38 MST

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001 erohrbaugh@softhome.net wrote:

> I am trying to install YDL CS 1.2.1 onto my new PowerMac G4 466. I just
> downloaded CS 1.2.1 and burned it onto CD. I restarted my computer and
> held down C to boot from CD. All that I got was a gray screen. Nothing
> else ever happened.

Try first going into OF (cmd-opt-O-F) and running 'boot cd:,\\yaboot'. The
newest machines have a quirk where they don't display text output from yaboot
(leaving you with a gray screen).

Normally yaboot will proceed on its way not caring that you can't see it. Do
you give it a good 20 seconds to time out (and boot the installer)?

-Hollis