Re: Location manager type tool?

Subject: Re: Location manager type tool?
From: Nic Ferrier (nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 23:03:09 MST

>>> Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui@plaidworks.com> 06-Feb-01 5:37:56 AM >>>

>Any thoughts on the right way to do this?

I'm not a mobility expert but...

>I know I have to upgrade the kernel to support the
>Wavelan card from Lucent. I've got the dhcp client
>stuff ready to go (mostly). I'm not trying to do the location
>manager completely -- I"m primarily worried about networks
>and hostnames. Are there things I'm missing here?

I you can rely on a network:

- providing DHCP
or
- not being there

it's probably quite easy. You just have to ensure that you get all
the details from the DHCP server and that the networks quietly fails
when you're not connected anywhere.

QUietly failing is pretty much the norm on Linux so you should be
okay as long as:

- DHCP is not wierd on any of your networks
ie: it has consistent handles of the linux bits you need to conf

- you don't need lots of static routes

- you're not booting anything else that might be network name
dependant

Nic Ferrier