Strange characters appearing on man pages.

Subject: Strange characters appearing on man pages.
From: William K. Gibson (firstdesk@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 08:22:32 MST

Sorry if this is simple but I'm not entirely versed in Unix.

I'm getting strange output in terminals when I view man pages. Characters
appear that are denoted <B4> or <AD> or others, and are in inverse video.
The <AD> appears whenever a word should be hyphonated across two lines. Yet
sometimes hyphens appear also. Here is a sample from 'man gzip'

    Travel...file names speci­
    fied...nd into the direc<AD>
    ory...compress them in the

The <AD> appears in inverse.

And here is a sample from 'man indent'

    prefixed by either `--<B4> or `+<B4>. [ `+<B4> is being super...

The <B4> also appears in inverse. I'm guessing it is replacing the single
quote character which is not B4 in hex. Weird.

Anyone know what option file I need to edit to change this strange behavior?
It is occurring on both local and remote terminals.

Thanks!

--William K. Gibson
1stDesk Systems
firstdesk@columbus.rr.com