Can't install Linux on PPC (Mac)

Subject: Can't install Linux on PPC (Mac)
From: Tobias Bohlin (tobias_bohlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2001 - 12:47:53 MST

Howdy list. I am new in here. My problem:
I can't install mkLinux on my Power Macintosh 6100/60AV. I added "Boot
extensions" from the CD into the addons folder. Additionally, I added Apple
CD-rom extension and removed all the others (e.g. QuickTime, Acrobat etc),
as I figured they shouldn't be necessary (?). The computer crashes with all
the extensions available in the addons folder. This happens when one clicks
the BootX-icon (start file). When you have only boot extensions and Apple
CD-rom in the addons folder, it won't boot (doesn't like the add-on). I
tried with only that addon and with Apple CD-rom (I thought it might be
necessary to have the latter to be able to boot the machine from CD-rom, but
I suppose Linux has its own methods for that?)

Anyway, what I'd like to do is to format the hard drive and install only
mkLinux. My distribution is called Yellow Dog Linux and seems to be a
server-only dist (possible?). I truly hope for tips! It says something in
the documentation about having to configure screen resolution etc. Hmm, do
they mean with apple control panel or in the folder that installs itself
into the hard drive when you click BootX on the CD. By the way, when you've
done that, you're supposed to click the BootX-icon on the hard drive (the
folder). Such is the nature of the installation it seems. To summarize, I
can't boot with the boot extensions-file in the addons folder. Different
numbers of addons (without the extension file) give the various results I
described above.

Best regards

Tobias Bohlin
IT Consultant