Re: Can't install Linux on PPC (Mac)

Subject: Re: Can't install Linux on PPC (Mac)
From: Rich Lafferty (rich@alcor.concordia.ca)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2001 - 13:06:38 MST

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 08:47:53PM +0100, Tobias Bohlin (tobias_bohlin@hotmail.com) wrote:
> Howdy list. I am new in here. My problem:
> I can't install mkLinux on my Power Macintosh 6100/60AV.
[snip]
> Anyway, what I'd like to do is to format the hard drive and install only
> mkLinux. My distribution is called Yellow Dog Linux and seems to be a
> server-only dist (possible?).

Er, I hate to break this to you, but Yellow Dog Linux isn't
mkLinux. Yellow Dog uses the standard Linux kernel; mkLinux uses a
Mach microkernel (like OS X does). The important bit for *you* is that
mkLinux is the only one that will work on the NuBus power macs.

So, if you want to run Linux on your 6100, you need mkLinux, and if
you have a CD that contains yellowdog, that's not it. :-)

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services