Some questions about the new input layer

Subject: Some questions about the new input layer
From: Riccardo Gusso (grick@tiscalinet.it)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2001 - 16:57:36 MST

I am trying to compile kernel 2.2.18 in which there is the new input layer,
but I have some difficulties to understand which are the correct setting in
.config for using it. I have an iMac, and so USB keyboard (italian) and
mouse, and I can't get mouse to work after a lot of tries.
Here are some lines from my .config:
in section "Character device" I have CONFIG_MOUSE=y;
in section "Mice" I have enabled all possibilities;
in section "Usb support" I have, among others, enabled these options:
CONFIG_USB=y
CONFIG_USB_HID=y
CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768;
in section "Mac device drivers", perhaps the crucial one, I have, among
others, these options:
CONFIG_INPUT_ADBHID=y
CONFIG_MAC_HID=y
CONFIG_MAC_ADBKEYCODES=y
CONFIG_MAC_EMUMOUSEBTN=y

I haven't yet understood if these are the correct settings to use the new
input layer (and, consequently, which are the correct ones NOT to use it).
For the moment I notice no difference in the keyboard mapping changing the
value of /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes, and I have
mouse not working: in the console I have no cursor and when I try to start X
I get this message:

fatal server error:
cannot open mouse: no such device

but I can see "mouse" in my /dev directory.

So, what to do? Any suggestion will be very appreciated.
Bye.
  Rick

--
"Like a bird on the wire