Re: Can't install Linux on PPC (Mac)

Subject: Re: Can't install Linux on PPC (Mac)
From: Marc Stergionis (stermarc@home.com)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 20:53:27 MST

Once upon a time ... well, to be exact on 2/20/01 6:45 PM, Pete Peters at
the digital address ppeters@vendaria.com, struck the keys thus:

> Supposedly, someone has gotten the monolithic kernel to install on NuBus
> Macs, but I believe it's a lot of work and some of the functionality ain't
> there yet. Sorry, don't have the particulars. Just remember seeing someone
> post that info a while back. For sure, Yellow Dog doesn't install on NuBus
> Macs.

Yeah, the monolithic kernel will run on NuBus, in fact you can just use it
to replace the kernel on a MkLinux install ... go to
<http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/>

YDL *will* install on the Nubus using the special Nubus installer at
sourceforge. That LinuxPPC NuBus page also has monokernel installers for
LinuxPPC and Debian flavors.

But, you're right, it sure isn't a "fill in the blanks, click the mouse and
you're done" kind of install. I've wrangled with more than one flavor before
coming to the realization that I could install MkLinux, then upgrade it
(with the NuBus YDL kernel) to CS1.2.1 That has worked on a couple of Power
Computing 8100 clones. Others have had quicker luck than I, but that's just
the way of Linux, isn't it :)

>> Of course, you could theoretically download the mklinux kernel and
> bootloader and use them with the YDL ramdisk. Unfortunately, I think MkLinux
> is still at 2.0.3x, and the installer may make 2.2-specific assumptions
>> (about /proc for example). It's worth a shot I guess...
>
> Yes, the MkLinux is still at 2.0.3x kernel, so the YDL installer will puke.
> However, once it's up and running, I think you should be able to swap in a
> monolithic kernel.

Conversely, the NuBus mono installer kernels at sourceforge (I believe) are
2.4 kernels; the system kernel *I know* is a 2.4 kernel, so actually the
installer/system might make the *opposite* assumptions ie. pieces of CS1.2.1
are pre-this-kernel.

> Tobias, I recommend that you subscribe to the MkLinux group
> <http://lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/mklinux-users> and/or check out the
> MkLinux web site <http://www.mklinux.org>. Lotsa good folks there running
> MkLinux on 6100's.

And a great source about getting the monokernel to run on NuBus power macs
is the linuppc-nubus list at <http://lists.linuxppc.org/>

"I wanna touch the earth/I wanna break the dirt in my hands/I wanna grow
something wild & unruly"
--Dixie Chicks, from "Fly"
Marc Stergionis
Community Relations & website author
Benefis Healthcare www.benefis.org
"Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer."