Re: StarOffice in YD 2.0?

Subject: Re: StarOffice in YD 2.0?
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 23:04:22 MST

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

> If someone had a machine they were considering doing all these incremental
> upgrades to, but is planning on upgrading to 2.0 when it becomes available
> and can be re-installed off the CD -- would you recommend upgrading now? Or
> waiting?

It really depends on how much download bandwidth you have at your disposal.
Aside from the download, installing OpenOffice is about as painless an
installation as you can get (aside from the psychological damage of
willfully installing megabytes of bloatware on your own machine ;).

KDE 2 and XF4 are slightly more invasive, but as I said before, it takes about
2 weeks for CD's to be pressed, and a master has not yet been sent off.

Personally I find KDE 2 and XF4 to be worth the upgrade for even 2 weeks use,
but maybe that's just me. Of course, folks on modems are more limited in what
they can upgrade in a reasonable timeframe.

-Hollis