Re Yaboot

Subject: Re Yaboot
From: William F. Hostman (aramis@gci.net)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 02:26:46 MST

>Hi all,
>
>After upgrading MacOS on my system to v9.1, I can no longer use BootX to
>boot Linux on my 1999 Bronze Powerbook G3. The solution I am told is to
>use yaboot/ybin.
>
>Documentation is a bit scattered, so I don't know if I have the full
>picture, but so far it looks like I will have to repartition my drive,
>or at least destroy my MacOS partition to get this working.

No; if your install WAS working, it's a simple matter of putting
yaboot, yaboot.conf, and a (working) kernel on one of the HFS
partitions. You might actually have some space left unused (unless,
like me, you manually accounted for everything when using PDisk. If
your MacOS partition is HFS (not HFS+) then no partition changes will
be needed at all.

If it was HFS plus, tho, you might need to use PDisk (boot from the
CD's if you can) or some other one to create a small (<100mb) HFS
partition to boot from.

Ybin is not needed; it does have some uses once you get back to
running linux, though.

--
William F. Hostman  |  "Smith & Wesson: THe original Point and Click
interface!"