Ethernet network keeps going down randomly

Subject: Ethernet network keeps going down randomly
From: William K. Gibson (firstdesk@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 10:24:16 MST

I have a Beige g3 running YDL that I use remotely via another Mac in the
office. I use terminals with SSH and appletalk. This works great, except
that the connection of the linux box to the ethernet network goes down at
least once a day at random intervals.

This causes me to have to go directly to the linux box, sign in, and restart
the network via /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart. Also I must restart
appletalk via /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk restart. After this everything is fine,
until some time later when it happens all over again.

I cannot seem to discern what the issue is. Has anyone experienced a similar
problem?

Here is some more info:

-My network router is an Airport base station.
-The mac is a beige g3
-YDL is Champion Server 1.2
-When restarting appletalk (after it stops) I get this complaint message:
  Shutting down Appletalk services: Can't unregister Linuxbox:Workstation@*
  Can't unregister Linuxbox:netatalk@*

If anyone has a clue, please help, this is helluva frustrating. If you need
any more info just ask and I'll provide it.

--William K. Gibson
1stDesk Systems
firstdesk@columbus.rr.com