Re: Ethernet network keeps going down randomly

Subject: Re: Ethernet network keeps going down randomly
From: Bryan Stillwell (bstill@terraplex.com)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 11:03:59 MST

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 12:24:16PM -0500, William K. Gibson wrote:
>I have a Beige g3 running YDL that I use remotely via another Mac in the
>office. I use terminals with SSH and appletalk. This works great, except
>that the connection of the linux box to the ethernet network goes down at
>least once a day at random intervals.
>
>This causes me to have to go directly to the linux box, sign in, and restart
>the network via /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart. Also I must restart
>appletalk via /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk restart. After this everything is fine,
>until some time later when it happens all over again.
>
>I cannot seem to discern what the issue is. Has anyone experienced a similar
>problem?

This is actually a problem with the bmac driver which most (if not all)
beige g3s use for ethernet (as well as some iMacs). The darwin driver
doesn't appear to have the same problem as the linux driver, so we're
taking a look at the two of them and trying to figure out what is
causing it. Once we figure it out, we'll post a message to the list
with information on where the new kernel can be downloaded from.

Bryan

--
  Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.           | Software Engineer
  http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/   | bstill@terraplex.com