Re: Ethernet network keeps going down randomly

Subject: Re: Ethernet network keeps going down randomly
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 13:22:59 MST

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Kirk Mitchell wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, William K. Gibson wrote:
> >
> > I have a Beige g3 running YDL that I use remotely via another Mac in the
> > office. I use terminals with SSH and appletalk. This works great, except
> > that the connection of the linux box to the ethernet network goes down at
> > least once a day at random intervals.
>
> Yes. Using a 266MHz Beige MT, I had problems keeping the network going.
>
> I ended up swapping cables and a hub out, and it's been solid since.

It tends not to happen unless you stress the box. There is a known hardware
bug that Darwin works around that the Linux driver does not, that involves
corrupting queued packets when collisions occur.

In the meantime, limiting the bandwidth (for example, putting it on a 10bT
hub) tends to make it more reliable.

If it's important (and it sounds like it is), another alternative is finding a
cheap Tulip- or NE2000-based card and dropping that in a PCI slot.

-Hollis