Re: Switching from BootX to yaboot

Subject: Re: Switching from BootX to yaboot
From: Nic Ferrier (nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 04:32:17 MST

>>> Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> 23-Feb-01 10:31:47 AM >>>

(there was an error in my original post - sorry I was knackered)

>I've managed to get as far as getting yaboot to run -
>but it cannot find any of the kernels that I have defined.

>When you say that the image lives at "/vmlinux", where
>does this file physically need to be on the system? I've tried
>in the root directory of the HFS partition, but yaboot cannot
>find them there.

Yaboot can find a kernel anywhere, you've juist got to get the syntax
of the yaboot.conf right.

If you want to run the kernel on your HFS position then put the
kernel in the root of your partition and refere to it in yaboot.conf
like this:

   image=hd:9,vmlinux

If you want to run a kernel that is on your linux partition (this is
what you *should* do) then you have to point the image lline to that
partition:

  image=hd:11,vmlinux

You have to know what the linux partition number is (easy enough to
find out using fdisk) and what the kernel is called. Historically the
kernel is called either vmlinux or vmlinuz.

Hope that helps, do mail again if you're stuck.

Nic