Re: Strange characters appearing on man pages.

Subject: Re: Strange characters appearing on man pages.
From: William K. Gibson (firstdesk@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 09:49:21 MST

on 2/20/01 1:34 PM, Paul J. Lucas at pauljlucas@mac.com wrote:

>> Ok, that did the trick. Thanks a bunch! I'm guessing the problem was really
>> with less.
>
> Yes: man less
> However, said man page also says that latin1 is the default.
>
> - Paul

Yes, but futher down it says:

       If neither LESSCHARSET nor LESSCHARDEF is set, but your system
        supports the setlocale interface, less will use setlocale to
        determine the character set. setlocale is controlled by setting
        the LANG or LC_CTYPE environment variables.

a call to `locale' on my system revealed:

    LANG=POSIX
    LC_CTYPE="POSIX"
    LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
    LC_TIME="POSIX"
    LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
    LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
    LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
    LC_ALL=

I don't know if this is significant. Anyone?

--William K. Gibson
1stDesk Systems
firstdesk@columbus.rr.com