Re: Need named?

Subject: Re: Need named?
From: Paul J. Schinder (schinder@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 06:17:02 MST

>On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Neil Jolly wrote:

>> > Simple answer - no 8^)
>>
>> Try djbdns from the author of qmail. It's easy to setup, and very
>>secure. Get
>> it at:
>> ftp://moni.msci.memphis.edu/pub/qmail/qmail-run
>
> The issue isn't looking for something simpler. I already have
> it installed and working. The question was: do I need it at
> all?

Strictly speaking, no. If you put one or two of nameservers in
/etc/resolv.conf, that's all you need.

However, I run djbdns' dnscache on all of my machines. The reason is
that the nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf are unreliable (significant
down time), so I'd rather use my own cache.

As recent events have proved, BIND is a significant security hazard
(a large program with a poor security model that runs as root and
listens to the Internet). BIND, like sendmail, should be stripped
from any machine.

> - Paul

Paul J. Schinder
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center