rtl8139 success report!

Subject: rtl8139 success report!
From: ke Svensson (aakesve@algonet.se)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 03:59:27 MST

Hi all rtl8139 confused fans!

I've been trying for 7-8 months to get my extra NIC working in my PPC7600
ydl 2.0. Today I succeeded somehow. I have kernel 2.4.16 wich seems to have
excellent support for rtl 8139 but even with this kernel I got error
messages in 'dmesg' concerning PCI and the card was not working. BUT: after
fiddling around with another processorcard from an 8600/250Mhz and resetting
the famous 'cuda'-switch I noticed today that those PCI-errors were gone!?!?

So, I tried for the n-th time to rewire the cabling and ping from my G4 and
it worked!
Now I write to you from my G4 through the 7600 YDL gateway and the rtl8139
NIC and out through a 56K modem.

So, to conclude my posting: a tip for the rtl8139 NIC owners - reset the
cuda switch, it might do the trick! And try the 2.4.16 kernel, self compiled
with support for the rtl8139 built in.

Absolutely Best Regards to this list and to all those who tried to help me
with my extra rtl8139 NIC last year!

Ake Svensson, Sweden