Can't get either YDL or Linux PPC (BootX) on my 7200

Subject: Can't get either YDL or Linux PPC (BootX) on my 7200
From: cubisss (cubisss@mediaone.net)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 12:43:48 MST

I downloaded fuji-2.1-20011105-install.iso, the file was 646.1 MB on my Mac
Extended HD. I was confident this was a good file because Toast seemed to
treat it like royalty. Iıve attached images of both the toast window after
handling the file under Disk Image setting and the final burned CD window.

This CD wonıt boot either of my Macs. Did I screw up?

I was told that Yellow Dog was the way to go, but that I might only be able
to run MKLinux on my system. But from reading this forum, it seems that
others have had success with YDL on 7200s.

I downloaded Linux PPC.2000. I burned an HFS CD-ROM from this image which
boots great. After about 10 tries, I am confident I installed Linux PPC on
my 7200 and performed most of the steps correctly, a couple of times.

My Partition Map:
Apple_partition_map Apple
Apple_Driver43 Macintosh
Apple_Driver43 Macintosh
Apple_patches Patch
Partition
Apple_HFS /boot
Apple_HFS untitled
2 (this is my OS 8.5)
Linus_PPC (equivalent to Apple_Unix_SVR2) swap
Linus_PPC /
Linus_PPC /home
Linus_PPC /

After installing, I ³blessed² the boot system folder.

I am using BootX to double boot OS 8.5 and Linux PPC.

Settings for BootX are: (within [ ] my settings)
-------------------------------------
Root Device : /dev/ [ boot ] (Iıve also tried [ /boot ], [ / ], and [
/root ]
Use Specified RAM disk : [ unchecked ]
-------------------------------------

Then, booting into Linux it shows the following lines among others:

RAM Disk driver initialized : 16 RAM disks of 46xxx
These lines in between seem right...
VFS: Cannot open root device 00:0b
Rebooting in 180 seconds...

Can anybody tell what Iım doing wrong with any of these scenarios. I know
thereıs a lot here, Iım just at my whitıs end. I really donıt care if the
Mac OS is on this machine, presuming I can get Linux up on it. The first
couple of installs I tried without a Mac system, but installed it on 300 MB
so I could use BootX.

Iıd really like to use YDL if possible, right?

Thanks in advance oh experienced ones.