Software suggestions

Subject: Software suggestions
From: david wright (dwright5@nyc.rr.com)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 14:45:53 MST

Keary,

My experience with editors in *NIX is vi, (or vim) which i must say
isn't exactly intuitive, but once familiar with it, is really fun and
fast and efficient. As far as FTP support, i often just use the shell,
since i'm already in it for vi. I want to start using SSH. vi does have
great finding/searching/replacing capabilities. I must say that i used
vi before i ever used BBEdit and was disappointed with BBEdit because i
thought it wasn't nearly as fast, functional or useful as vi (i felt
that that way with all editors after vi - including textpad on PC) of
course in time i grew to really love BBEdit (and textpad) but i have
been really happy to be able to return to vi again and it's one of the
reasons i wanted to run linux. (with vi your fingers never have to
leave the keyboard or move that far to do anything, no mouse delays, for
a touch typist that's indispensible) For development and programming,
scripting i think this is thee platform and editor of choice. ah, but
i'm still just a learning, developing perl hacker trying to learn c. I'm
sure there are plenty of bonafide top noch programmers hereabouts to set
the record straight.

-my biases and shills

- david

be the way this is a really good tut on vi:
http://ECN.www.ecn.purdue.edu/ECN/Documents/VI/1.introduction