Re: Software suggestions

Subject: Re: Software suggestions
From: Christopher Murtagh (christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 15:33:37 MST

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Keary Suska wrote:
>I have just moved to Ximian, and I have to say it looks and behaves much
>better than KDE, and I don't get a segfault for every other action.

 Hrm, I've been running the default KDE for months and haven't had a
single segfault.

>Editor:
>As good as BBEdit: wide array of language support, pcre pattern matching,

 GVim is now my favorite editor. When I first switched to linux full time
I thought I would really miss BBEdit (and there are rare moments that I
wish it ran under linux). Now, I find when I actually do use BBEdit, I
have piles of extra 'i's and ':wq's everywhere.

>multi-file search,

 grep, rgrep, (perl (-i -pe 's/foo/bar/g' *.txt))

>some sort of FTP support

 :shell in Vi(m) will let you do anything. Konquorer is a pretty decent
ftp client.

>fairly intuitive so I don't have to spend the next two weeks
>just figuring out how to use it

 Well, Vim isn't the most intuitive text editor out there but it is most
definitely worth learning. Once you have gotten most of it down, it will
save you piles of time.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Sysadmin Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada

Tel.: (514) 398-3122 Fax: (514) 398-2017