Re: Services Question

Subject: Re: Services Question
From: Bo Brinkman (brinkman@cs.princeton.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 12:04:51 MST

YDL 2.0 uses xinetd, not inetd, by default. Look in /etc/xinetd.d/ :
There is a file for each network server, for example
/etc/xinetd.d/telnet for telnet. Change the line that says
  disable = yes
  disable = no

Then you will want to restart xinetd, by doing /etc/init.d/xinetd
restart. The one complication is that if you do NOT want your services
managed by xinetd (sshd is a typical example), you will have to do
something different, or if it is the kind of service that isn't an
internet server, but runs all the time (like ntpd).

I usually just use chkconfig, since I don't have any gui stuff
installed. Read the chkconfig man page. Notice that services that you
add to the current run-level won't be automatically started until the
runlevel changes...so you could reboot, or you could /sbin/telinit 1 and
then /sbin/telinit back to whatever runlevel you use (3 for text, 5 for
graphical).