Re: PPP connection with YDL 2.1 (was: Kernel woes but I am so close!)

Subject: Re: PPP connection with YDL 2.1 (was: Kernel woes but I am so close!)
From: Ren Bourion (rene.bourion@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 09:50:15 MST

le 04/02/02 8:54, Patrick Klee à drwho@futureks.net a écrit :

> Hi,
> I built the latest 2.4 kernel, stable, because I am still a noob. However,
> I am having the same problem I had with the default 2.4.10-12a kernel that
> shipped with YDL 2.1: PPP doesn't work. I am using rp3 dialer to get on in
> 2.2.19. But when I went to 2.4.10 and even built a BenH kernel pre7 2.4.18,
> but PPP does not work. It looks like it's dialing but it doesn't dial in,
> while in 2.2.19 I dial in no problems. I am totally stumped and hate to have
> use something other than Red hat ppp dialer. I even thought the kernel
> daemon was broken, but, maybe I have to type something at a command line I
> just don't know what.
>
> If someone, anyone can help. I feel I have overcome hardest part of Linux
> for me anyways.
>

> Regards,
> Patrick.

It is not so difficult as all that. I take the liberty to quote from my own
posting of 11 Dec 2001:

<begin quote>

The best tool to use (from my experience) is netcfg. Unfortunately, the
netcfg-2.36 version of the YDL 2.1 disk is somehow defective, so I installed
netcfg-2.25 taken from an older disk; this one works.

In netcfg, you enter all the parameters relevant to your setup.

In the "Names" window, you may replace "localhost" by a personal name (this
amounts to editing /etc/hosts), and you must enter the IPs of your domain
name servers.

In the "Hosts" window, there is not much to do; be sure to leave 127.0.0.1
for the IP.

In the "Interfaces" window, click on "add", then "PPC" and "ok". In the
"Create PPP interface" window that opens, enter the telephone number of your
ISP and your login and password. Then a click on "Customize" opens a new
window "Edit PPP interface", where there are several tasks to be done:
-- Hardware: check "Use hardware..." and "Abort connection...".
And (***very important***) check "Allow any user..." so that a non-root user
can operate the link.
Still about hardware, put 115200 for the speed and /dev/modem for the modem
port, after checking that the proper link exists (try 'modemtool &' on the
console).
-- Communication: normally, you should not have to edit the chat script.
-- Networking: check only "Set default..." and set MRU to 1500.

At this point, everything is done, and the interface should work. You can
test it from inside netcfg by using the Activate/Deactivate buttons in the
"Interfaces" window. Or else you could test it from the console by using the
scripts
        ifup ppp0 & to connect
        ifdown ppp0 & to disconnect.

If all is well, leave netcfg. For day-to-day use, I found that a convenient
interface is provided by rp3: launch it and select ppp0, and there remains a
small window from which you can connect/disconnect by a single click; a
green light shows when the link is on. This window stays all the time if you
save your session.

If your desktop is Gnome, an alternative is provided by the applet
ModemLights, into which you would have to copy the two above scripts.

<end quote>

This is what I have done, and I guarantee that it works on my iMac, with the
original kernel 2.4.10-12a from the disc.

R.B.