Mac-On-Linux - problems on reboot

Subject: Mac-On-Linux - problems on reboot
From: John Reynolds (john.reynolds@stonebow.otago.ac.nz)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 14:44:38 MST

Hi all, from another newbie:

I've just installed YDL 2.1 on my iMac at work (blue, year 2000,
running Mac OS 9.1 - am at home so minimal details, sorry) and this
was relatively uneventful and now runs well. The problem I have is
that when I run Mac-On-Linux (which I use in a KDE terminal window
and have been careful to set up correct screen resolution so that it
doesn't screw up screen when booting directly into 9.1 later), on
reboot I lose the boot selection options and can't boot into Linux
again. The Mac Folder initially shows with a question mark and then
defaults into Mac OS 9.1, as per the Open Firmware setting.

It does not corrupt the boot selection set in Open Firmware (this
remains at set to the correct linux boot partition). The only way I
can get the boot selection to show again is to start off the CD and
reset the cd-linux root as described in one of the YDL How-To's.
After this, booting proceeds as normal.

I really don't want to have to do this after each occasion I use
M-O-L, so does anyone have a suggested fix for this? I am careful to
properly shutdown Os 9.1 within M-O-L, and this ensures that there
are no open threads etc. But I have tried it by just closing the
window without shutting down , with the same result.

Any ideas? I have tried the M-O-L website but couldn't find help
there. And thanks to all of you on this list, who have offered
various fixes so that the Yup updater now works properly etc!!

Cheers

John Reynolds

(University of Otago
New Zealand)