Re: Mac-On-Linux - problems on reboot

Subject: Re: Mac-On-Linux - problems on reboot
From: Andy Hocker (hocker@fnal.gov)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 14:59:39 MST

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, John Reynolds wrote:

> Hi all, from another newbie:
>
> I've just installed YDL 2.1 on my iMac at work (blue, year 2000,
> running Mac OS 9.1 - am at home so minimal details, sorry) and this
> was relatively uneventful and now runs well. The problem I have is
> that when I run Mac-On-Linux (which I use in a KDE terminal window
> and have been careful to set up correct screen resolution so that it
> doesn't screw up screen when booting directly into 9.1 later), on
> reboot I lose the boot selection options and can't boot into Linux
> again. The Mac Folder initially shows with a question mark and then
> defaults into Mac OS 9.1, as per the Open Firmware setting.
>
> It does not corrupt the boot selection set in Open Firmware (this
> remains at set to the correct linux boot partition). The only way I
> can get the boot selection to show again is to start off the CD and
> reset the cd-linux root as described in one of the YDL How-To's.
> After this, booting proceeds as normal.
>
> I really don't want to have to do this after each occasion I use
> M-O-L, so does anyone have a suggested fix for this? I am careful to
> properly shutdown Os 9.1 within M-O-L, and this ensures that there
> are no open threads etc. But I have tried it by just closing the
> window without shutting down , with the same result.

Hi,

This happened to me when I first tried monkeying around with /etc/molrc.
I had removed my bootstrap partition from the list of stuff to mount, thinking
this would be harmless, and ended up running into the problem you
described. So, I put the bootstrap partition back into /etc/molrc
(mounted read-only) and then things were OK again.

I have no idea whether that makes any sense or not -- but that was
my experience.

Cheers,
Andy

Andy Hocker office: CDF trailer 168-O
University of Rochester phone: (630)-840-8622
Fermilab/CDF - M.S. 318 fax: (630)-840-2968
PO Box 500 e: hocker@fnal.gov
Batavia, IL 60510 hey ho: let's go