Re: PCMCIA ethernet card

Subject: Re: PCMCIA ethernet card
From: Joe Villari (joev_nylxs@pipeline.com)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 11:52:00 MST

>I am informed that the Yellowdog 2.1 distribution includes a kernel
>which supports PCMCIA. "pcmcia" appears somewhere in the name.
>Evidently if that kernel is not available a module must be pulled
>into an existing kernel.

If you are using kernel 2.4.10-12a, you might want to upgrade if you
are using a "newer" powerbook becuase this kernel will not support
many applications and hardware like Xserver or the internal modem.

>The question still remains, however, has anyone successfully
>implemented a PCMCIA ethernet card on a powerbook under yellowdog.
>Also is there a specific driver required for the ethernet card (in
>addition to the PCMCIA module in the kernel).

According to YDL's website all you need to do is start the pcmcia
manager using /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start. If this does not work,
the problem is with either the kernel needing patches or the modules
are not loaded.

Joe