FW: YD linux heat problem

Subject: FW: YD linux heat problem
From: Brian Watson (bcwatso1@uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 00:06:56 MST

------ Forwarded Message
From: Steven Poulakos <poulakos@uiuc.edu>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 00:54:13 -0600
To: bcwatso1@uiuc.edu
Subject: YD linux heat problem

Hi Brian,

Well, the rest of the Yellowdog linux install process was quick and
simple. However, after a few minutes of working with it, I noticed that
the laptop was getting warmer than usual. Then, about 30 mins later,
the right side of the keyboard and nearby right side of the computer was
getting really hot and the fan kicked on loudly! So, I powered down the
machine and took a break from it for the evening.

I've been using the laptop for the last hour or so, and the same problem
has occurred. Yellowdog linux is definitely doing something that is
heating up some component of the laptop. My initial guess is that it
could be related to the soundcard, cache or some controller card. When
I check the processor utilization, it seems to be 90some% idle. So,
something else strange is going on.

I ran the YUP update tool for YDL 2.0. It's possible that 2.1 fixed
this, but.... it's not possible to test it. Anyway, I thought I'd let
you know. Although, it doesn't seem to be the hard drive itself that's
heating up, it could be related to the problem that you had with your
computer.

Please let me know if you come across on something helpful.

Steve

------ End of Forwarded Message

This is my RA. He's interested in buying a PowerBook G4, but he has this
problem after we installed YDL earlier this evening. I don't know of any
issues such as this, so I think it might be a hardware problem. I searched
the past messages. Does anyone have any insight? TIA.

--Brian