Re: Sonnet Crescendo G3 & YDL 2.1

Subject: Re: Sonnet Crescendo G3 & YDL 2.1
From: ke Svensson (aakesve@algonet.se)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 10:36:14 MST

Hi Drew!

Found this in the archive from Tim Seufert:
"Upgrades for the 7500 should generally be fine.

One thing you have to watch for is whether your L2 cache is getting
enabled. The computers which shipped with a G3 enable the cache
before any OS starts booting, but the firmware in older upgraded
machines doesn't know the G3's backside L2 even exists.

If you use BootX to boot Linux, and the G3 upgrade extension loads
before the BootX extension does, you're good to go. Otherwise, you
need to boot into MacOS and use a utility supplied with BootX to grab
the correct G3 cache setting so that BootX can enable it before

If you use quik, I don't know what the preferred method is, but there
is a kernel command line option to set L2CR (the L2 cache control
register in the G3). Just supply "l2cr=VALUE" where VALUE is
whatever the G3 utility you use does in MacOS."

Hope it might help you!

Regards,

Ake Svensson