Netatalk, AppleShare IP, and OS X

Subject: Netatalk, AppleShare IP, and OS X
From: Greg Meece (gmeece@austin.rr.com)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 17:03:09 MST

All -

I've done a quick perusal of all posts for the last year +, but I cannot
find specifically what I am looking for. I've got a 7500 with YDL 2.1
installed, and Netatalk runs at startup. It is accessible for those
machines which do not insist upon AppleShare IP (i.e., pre-OS X machines),
but the machine I have running OS X full time cannot mount any volumes.

My symptoms:
 * My Linux box shows up in the AppleTalk NBP list, as well as when I type
its IP address. At that point I will get prompted for username and
password.
 * Once I've typed in appropriate username and password, I can see the share
listed I expect to see.
 * Either the volume fails to mount (silently, I might add), or I get an
error dialog stating: "Disconnected The file server "myfileserver"
connection has unexpectedly closed down."

So, two questions:
1) How can I tell whether I have an RPM with IP in it? If it turns out I
do, what to do to troubleshoot? (OK, that's two questions in one...)
2) If YDL doesn't ship with an IP/OS X friendly version, has someone made a
YDL-compatible package? I've tried to compile from source but get so many
link errors, I really don't want to venture there.

I know UNIX at an intermediate user level, but don't really have the time to
become a developer on it. I'm sure that I could figure out how to compile,
debug, and configure it if I had the time. Has anyone else had success with
Netatalk/AppleShare IP and OS X? This is a make or break deal for me. If I
can't get this box to run Netatalk which my OS X machine(s) can successfully
use, then I'll just (gasp!) put Darwin on it and be done with the whole
mess. Yes, I know that Linux is a whole lot meaner and leaner, but I've
verified at work that Darwin will do what I need this box to do.

TIA,

Greg Meece
Senior Software Test Engineer
BroadJump