Re: Netatalk, AppleShare IP, and OS X

Subject: Re: Netatalk, AppleShare IP, and OS X
From: Paul Guba (gubavision@home.com)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 19:24:22 MST

Well on my side it checks out ok. afpd is running and listening on port
548. I downloaded and installed the latest and greatest rpm of netatalk
but still no good. I do recall seeing post of people getting it up and
running though. So I don't think OS X and netatalk are incompatible.

P Guba

On Sunday, February 10, 2002, at 08:59 PM, Darron Froese wrote:

>> So, two questions:
>> 1) How can I tell whether I have an RPM with IP in it? If it turns
>> out I
>> do, what to do to troubleshoot? (OK, that's two questions in one...)
>
> It has IP in it if it's listening on port 548.
>
> To a
>
> [root@uber darron]# netstat -atnp | grep 548
> tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:548 0.0.0.0:*
> LISTEN
> 983/afpd
>
> That means that the process with the PID of 983 called afpd is
> listening on
> port 548.
>
> It should automatically have IP on it if afpd is running - if afpd isn't
> running then you won't have ip services. Check your netatalk.conf file
> make sure afpd is enabled.
>
>> 2) If YDL doesn't ship with an IP/OS X friendly version, has someone
>> made
>> YDL-compatible package? I've tried to compile from source but get so
>> many
>> link errors, I really don't want to venture there.
>
> There are a bunch of packages here:
>
> http://speakeasy.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=netatalk

Paul Guba
gubavision@home.com