Install of YDL 2.1 on Power Center Pro nothing but frustration

Subject: Install of YDL 2.1 on Power Center Pro nothing but frustration
From: Marcus Hall (marcush@sfo.com)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 00:28:23 MST

I've downloaded the ISO image from a number of different mirrors and
burned it on both two different pc's and two different macs (never
mounted the image!) and have still been unable to install YDL 2.1 on my
Power Center Pro. I've been trying off and on since November and can
think of no other words to describe the situation as infuriating. If I
can get OS X to run on my Power Tower Pro why the hell can I not get YDL
2.0 or 2.1 to install on a my Power Center Pro? I never had any trouble
installing LinuxPPC and may have to go back to it now. I've nearly had
enough of this. Ok. THIS IS THE END OF THE RANT.

The Power Center Pro has 256MB RAM, a Powerlogix 375Mhz G3 daughter
card, ATI Rage 128 card, XLR8 2-port USB card, Adaptec 2940 UW card.
The stock IBM 5400rmp MacOS drive is attached to the built-in SCSI bus.
The linux disc is a 68-pin IBM 7200rpm drive attached to the Adaptec
card.

The problem is that without fail the installer hangs while transferring
packages. I've read the posts on this list about this problem and have
tried a number of suggested solutions. The last thing I tried, which
also seemed like it was going to work, was to format the drive as
unallocated space. The partitioning went without a hitch and so did
setting up the mount points. Tonight I've attempted to install all of
the configurations that the installer offers but none of them have
worked. It always hangs on transferring the packages. Here is my disk
configuration 10MB boot, 256MB swap, 200MB root, 2.5Gig usr, 300MB var,
1Gig home. I might add that this configuration worked on the Power Tower
Pro last year. I just don't understand why I can't get this install to
work. If anyone has gotten YDL 2.0 or 2.1 installed on a Power Center
Pro please let me know how you did it. By the way, I also successfully
did the install on a Beige G3 but when I moved the drive back to the
Power Center Pro linux never ran properly and eventually after a few
boots refused to boot anymore. Why does LinuxPPC have no problem
installing and running on this machine but YDL can't?

Any help is desparately appreciated,

Marcus