Re: VNC, anyone?

Subject: Re: VNC, anyone?
From: Alexander Holst (holst@fh-pforzheim.de)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 02:37:42 MST

>On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Greg Meece wrote:
>
>> Has anyone gotten a package for VNC Server to install and run
>> successfully with YDL 2.1? I've had it working for LinuxPPC, Mandrake
>> PPC & x86, Redhat, and OS X. I've not found a package for YDL yet.
>> I know - I'm a pathetic loser who can bear to be without a GUI to fall
>> back on. Hey, I've been a Mac owner since 1985. My goal is to put
>> this machine in a closet and invoke X if/when I need to without
>> needing a monitor attached.

Try www.rpmfind.net - there are some VNC RPMs for PPC. The ones that work
are from the LinuxPPC distro/contribs.
As for putting the box in a closet and run it headless, you might want to
check whether the video card is activated while booting - you might want to
use some connectors to ensure that, otherwise the machine won't boot (my
PM7200 acts like that!)

>You might get better performance with an X server for your other desktop
>machines - depending on what you have as your desktop machines in the
>house, there are X servers for Unix (obviously), MacOS, and Windows. They
>don't all have the "Free" advantage that VNC has, but I've gotten better
>performance that way.

There is a free X server available for the Mac from
http://www.microimages.com/ called MI/X. It works well on the mac. I
couldn't really tell the difference in performance between usind VNC or
MI/X, as long as you do not set desktop-background images in X. We use VNC
exclusively now, since I have one viewer on the Mac side, and have several
servers here running a vncserver. No logins, just pickup the session where
you left it. Be sure to firewall those ports though!

Greetings,

Alexander Holst
SysAdmin MacLabor Visuelle Kommunikation
Pforzheim University of Applied Sciences
Germany
ph.: +49 [0]7231 28-6837
fx.: +49 [0]7231 28-6040
<holst@fh-pforzheim.de>