YDL newbie -- TiBook and 2.1 questions

Subject: YDL newbie -- TiBook and 2.1 questions
From: Jamal Bernhard (jamalb@pacbell.net)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 14:03:22 MST

Hi there. I just picked up a TiBook last week, and installed YDL 2.1 on it
this morning (tri-boot). I have a little experience with RedHat, but based
on what I've read on the Yellow Dog website I have a couple questions. Help
is appreciated...

(1) The YDL website says that 2.1 supports sleep on the TiBook, but when I
close the lid I get a "sleep is not supported on this machine" message.
What gives? :-)

(2) I am planning to build a new kernel that supports the radeon. I have
seen some threads that discuss this, and it looks like people are choosing
a "benh" kernel? Is there any kind of overview of what the difference is
between all these kernel versions (kernel.org, linuxppc.org, benh,
etc.....), and why we would choose one over the other (for the TiBook
specifically)?

(3) Also on the topic of building kernels, how do I know in general which
options to select when I do a make config? Many are probably obvious, but
for example whether or not to build things into the kernel or build them as
modules I have no idea. I'd like to follow the format of the base
installation so I don't have to make a lot of changes to modules.conf or
other random files that I probably know nothing about. :-)

(4) One last kernel question: I'd like to keep two kernels around -- the
stable one that's already installed and the new one. What exactly is the
best way to manage this with yaboot.conf? I know I can just have both
vmlinux images in /boot and refer to them in my yaboot.conf entries, but
there is this System.map file and a couple other version-specific files in
/boot that I don't understand.

Thanks in advance.