Comments about YDL 2.1 (Problems and Solutions)

Subject: Comments about YDL 2.1 (Problems and Solutions)
From: Pietro (ppesci@cantv.net)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 17:56:45 MST

I installed YDL 2.1 one month ago and in general think that is a very
good distribution but of course, there are some headaches and there are:

Installer:
First, the installer is very unstable, sometimes work, sometimes not.
I solved this trying several times. :(
Video resolution:
I had problems with Mach64 card. YDL 2.1 can't handle 1024x768
resolution. Setup only can configure correctly 800x600.
I solve changing at hand XF86Config-4 file with this change in Section
Modes:

Section "Modes"
  Identifier "Modes[0]"
  Modeline "1024x768" 78.525 1024 1056 1152 1312 768 769 772 800
+hsync +vsync
EndSection

and erasing all other modes and in Section Screen change to:

Section "Screen"
  DefaultDepth 15
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth 15
    Modes "1024x768"
  EndSubSection
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1024x768"
  EndSubSection
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1024x768"
  EndSubSection
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth 32
    Modes "1024x768"
  EndSubSection
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth 8
    Modes "1024x768"
  EndSubSection
  Device "Device[0]"
  Identifier "Screen[0]"
  Monitor "Monitor[0]"
EndSection

YellowDog updater:

yup simply don't work. after readingRPM database and performing
dependencies sanity check (without errors), and when checkink for
packages list updates the message is:

Error:

and thats all, one word (Error:), not very informative eh?.
Suggestion: download packages manualy and install, but don't use kpackage.

Kpackage:

Kpackage can't check dependencies, and gave me an error when try install
or uninstall:

rpmdepCheck() failed.

Suggestion: Use gnorpm, is not so nice but can check dependencies.

Anyway, is the best distribution right now for PPC.

Pietro Pesci-Feltri C.