Audio: ALSA drivers

Subject: Audio: ALSA drivers
From: Ren Bourion (rene.bourion@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 10:45:55 MST

On 2 Feb 2002, Avinash Gupta gave a detailed method to set up ALSA, as
follows:

<Quote>
Here is what I had to do to get ALSA running on my machine:
YDL stock 2.4.10 kernel (SMP), XF86 4.1, G4 sawtooth w/AGP ATI Rage 128,
Apple Studio Display 17" (using Apple Display Connector).

1. Download alsa-driver-0.9.0beta10.tar.bz2 from:
    ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/alsa-driver-0.9.0beta10.tar.bz2
2. bzip2 -d alsa-driver-0.9.0beta10.tar.bz2
3. tar xvf alsa-driver-0.9.0beta10.tar
4. su -
5. modprobe soundcore
6. cp -R /lib/modules/2.4.10-12a/misc /tmp {for backup}
6. exit
7. cd alsa-driver-0.9.0beta10/cards/ppc
8. vi awacs.c
9. {Delete line 63 that says "#ifdef CONFIG_PMAC_PBOOK"}
10. {Delete line 76 that says "#endif"}
11. Save the file and quit
12. cd ../..
13. ./configure --with-cards=pmac
14. make
15. su -
15. make install
16. modprobe snd-card-pmac

If all the above work, congratulations! All you need to do is add the
following line to /etc/modules.conf (Comment out existing alias sound
lines.).

    # ALSA portion
    alias char-major-116 snd
    options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1

    alias snd-card-0 snd-card-pmac

    options snd-card-pmac snd_index=0

    # OSS/Free portion
    alias char-major-14 soundcore
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
    alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-0
    alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
    alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
    alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
    alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
    alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
    alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

Reboot ... you should get no errors in loading the sound module and sound
should work fine in KDE.

If anything goes wrong, you can replace your old
/lib/modules/2.4.10-12a/misc
directory with the one from /tmp and you should be OK).
</Quote>

I applied this method and got the expected result, as I reported in this
list on Feb 5. However, it worked just once, and I have been in deep trouble
since.

What happens is that the KDE window freezes while loading the Window
Manager. This requires manual fsck after power-off and reboot (at level 3,
since I have MacOS 9 and can use BootX). At that level, I was able to remove
the /lib/modules/2.4.10/misc directory. I could not restore the original
dir, because I have lost it and do not know how to rebuild it.

However, I can again boot at level 5, and it is all right, except that a
warning message shows up in the course of loading the Window Manager; it
says:

"Sound Server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device"

This, happening at the same moment as the freeze referred to above, seems to
be the expression of the same defect. I wonder if it would occur if there
was a clean /lib/modules/2.4.10/misc in place.

What is puzzling, moreover, is that the device /dev/dsp is present, contrary
to what the message says.

I should be grateful to anyone who could suggest a way to get out of all
this.

R.B.