Re: Palm USB Sync -- still not working

Subject: Re: Palm USB Sync -- still not working
From: Joe Buczek (joe_buczek@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 22:41:06 MST

I have been in similar USB-serial-adapter hell myself. Mine is a
Keyspan PDA adapter I'm trying to get working with a Palm Vx and an
iBook2.

I checked the Keyspan web site and there are driver updates to
support my adapter that I need to try out. These were not in the
recent 2.4.17 kernel tarball. No amount of "jiggering" anything,
hardware or software yielded results for me, so its on to trying a
newer driver.

While looking at the 2.4.17 source (I should mention I'm running
stock YDL 2.1, which is kernel 2.4.10-12a), I diff'ed the
belkin_sa.c file against the newer source and there is a very small
change regarding how it shuts down potential in-progress transfers
and transactions upon close(). If you've seen crashes, this might
be for you.

One thing I didn't see in your original post was whether you were
making sure the baud rates on the Palm and (??? make/model)
computer were the same. You need to do something like 'stty -F
/dev/pilot 57600' or set the environment variable PILOTRATE, like
'export PILOTRATE=57600' for tools like pilot-xfer. Obviously, you
also need to check that the Palm is set to agree with the rate you
use on the computer.

I hope you have better luck than I have had. I'm pretty sure the
updated driver source from the Keyspan web site is going to be
worth trying for me. YMMV.

Cheers and Good Luck,
--Joe