Sound on PBG3 FireWire w/ YDL 2.1

Subject: Sound on PBG3 FireWire w/ YDL 2.1
From: Dan Cook (inundata@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 18:23:02 MST

Hi all,

    I've been trolling through this mailinglist for quite some time now,
trying to find a suitable answer for my problem, but no luck so far.
    Just so you all know, I am a linux newbie/intermediate wannabe... If you
could please tune your suggestions to that level of skill, it'd be great.
Posts like "Well just dos the fromprat after recalibrating your
fstab-grokbin" will only cause more confusion. Thank you.
The problem is this: I cannot seem to convince my brand spanking new YDL2.1
install to play any sound (I've tried both MP3's and CD's using the CD
Player program) on my PowerBook G3 FireWire (neither on the speakers nor on
headphones).
    I've already tried things like using aumix, cat [bigfile] > /etc/dsp,
running esd, killing and then running esd.
    I also made sure that both KDE and GNOME have the options set so that
they start the sound server when they startup. I get a strange error when
trying to start up KDE or GNOME, and I think that understanding it may bring
me to the root of my problem. A window pops up saying "Sound Server Fatal
Error: Error whil initializing the sound driver: Can't set playback format
(_format = 17, asked driver to give 16, got 32)".
    I hope that someone has the solution to this problem.

Thank you very much, and any help that you can give will be very appreciated
(even if it is very technical.)

Thanks for reading,
Dan Cook