'moving home'

Subject: 'moving home'
From: david wright (dwright5@nyc.rr.com)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 01:59:36 MST

Well anyway, i want to move my ~ (/home/dw5) directory. I have already
sucessfully created a /mnt/newhome/home/dw5 mount point that automatically
mounts at bootup and have transferred all my ~ (/home/dw5) files there
including . files (the important ones). (no, i have not axed my home
directory yet and won't till i'm sure ;-))

How can i now tell my system that i have "moved home", i edited '/etc/passwd'
at the bottom where it shows user name and put in my new path. but if i look
at a 'env' command there are many variables that still show the old
path.(that need to be changed?) I know that i can set $ENV{"$one_by_one"} but
from my understanding that only changes the variable for the length of your
session, not permanently (like in a file).

Thank you.

-david