Re: Sound on PBG3 FireWire w/ YDL 2.1

Subject: Re: Sound on PBG3 FireWire w/ YDL 2.1
From: Dan Cook (inundata@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 02:50:30 MST

Neill,

Thank you very much for your valuable advice. MP3s now play perfectly well
on my Pismo now (yay!!). Just for the record:
    - modules.conf was correct
    - the proper sound module was already loaded (dmasound_pmac)
    - changing from esd to oss did the trick
    - although starting up esd did give me the beepy-thing, it still didn't
work (I'd tried this before on the advice of one of the archived posts)

I now have a few other questions though:

1) Both the KDE and GNOME options said that they would load the arTS
sound thingy on startup. Is it still necessary to have that on? And is
there any way to have the system load OSS on bootup instead of esd, and not
have to do the whole lsmod rmmod modprobe dance on every bootup? I've heard
something about adding stuff into a folder called /etc/rc...
2) Is there any way I can modify the CD Player to also play music using
OSS, or is there a CD player embedded in XMMS that I'm not aware of? (BTW,
XMMS beats the stuffing outof Sonique or iTunes).
3) And finally, is there any way to enable the volume up/down buttons on
the Pismo? I've seen a couple of posts on this in the archives, but I don't
know how to use them.

Thanks for reading,
Dan Cook